Removing the voice clips while singing
Often there is one and the same main problem with vocalists – constriction of the voice, as a result of tension of the vocal apparatus (in the neck) – external muscles that are not involved in the process of sound formation, but are always ready to come to the aid of the vocalist – to draw out one or another note, to correct intonation …
At the same time, it becomes difficult to control the voice and the sound quality leaves much to be desired …
But this is just the intervention of the external muscles and is not desirable …
The internal muscles located inside the larynx and participating in sound formation are able to independently control the vocal apparatus without unnecessary interference of the external muscles.
Signs of interference in the process of singing external muscles – clamp:
– clamped voice by ear;
– laryngeal tension, which manifests itself externally, as the vertical cavity of the Adam’s apple (the higher the sound, the stronger the voltage and depression);
– the desire to lower his head, to press his chin to his chest (especially in the upper register), and as a result, the inability to sing high with his head held up;
– Fatigue and poor voice control.
What are clamps formed from?
There may be several reasons, but I will describe the main and most common among the vocalists. She is psychological, and as a result, the habit of singing with a clip. You want to take a difficult note or syllable for you, and strive to do it, no matter what. Your singing technique does not allow you to do it right, and here you will come to the rescue just those very external muscles (chewing and swallowing), which help to form a sound worthy in your opinion. A negative role here can be played by the state of fear, shame, shyness, shyness that other people besides you will hear your singing, for example, relatives outside the wall. And you try to sing better for them, but it turns out worse.
How to remove the throat clamps?
Since the main and most common reason for the clamp is psychological, you need to force yourself to relax, distract outside thoughts, concentrate only on your own voice, not notice anyone in the area and sing freely and comfortably. When approaching a difficult note, do not pay attention to it, say to yourself: “I’ll sing out of tune, I won’t take the note, well, let it be.” It is important to force yourself to relax and find those feelings in which you can sing relaxed.
It often happens that after a certain amount of alcohol drunk, vocals become easy and comfortable. This is due to the fact that under the influence of alcohol the central nervous system becomes dull, and you no longer make conscious clamps to achieve a particular goal. But vocals and drunkenness are incompatible things, so you need to free your fears of sound and sober. I will give a few recommendations for this:
1. Make yourself relax. Inspire yourself that nothing bothers you. You can look and fear in the eye. For example, invite your mother into the room and say that you will now sing an arpeggio for her. Sing it and say that you didn’t do very well, and you will look for sensations to sing better. When mom leaves for another room, you may no longer be embarrassed by her.
2. For relaxation, I recommend singing the sopranohighc arpeggio. I truly consider this arpeggio to be the most universal for the singer, as it teaches us to connect the chest and head voices. Sing a vowel that is comfortable for you. When singing, do not open your mouth strongly, do it halfway. Only on high notes is a slight expansion of the mouth allowed. Look straight ahead. Breathe calmly. Plug one ear tightly with your finger. This will help you to hear yourself well from the inside and suppress psychological stress. Do not increase the volume in uppercase. Sing at a moderate volume. When you achieve some relaxation – cling to these sensations. Look for sensations. Then try to sing a song, but at a low volume and by no means straining, let the sound seem more subtle and less dynamic, but the main thing is that it remains connected, and comes over time, and the strength and coloring of the voice becomes richer.
Signs of relaxed singing:
– the sound is balanced in all frequency components: high, medium and low.
– You can easily sing with your head held up even the highest notes.
– when attacking a sound or when it is completed, micro-falsetto “cocks” slip through, this symbolizes the softness of the attack and the conduct of sound and the freedom of the vocal cords (but this sensation may also be absent).
– there is no tension of the abdominals, and there is a good amount of air for singing.
Ideal for relaxed singing, the Seth Riggs technique of “Singing in a Speech Position” is suitable.
And remember, larynx relaxation is not a one-day process, but a long one, requiring a lot of time and patience !!! With each lesson, relax more and more …